Hello my dear readers, I’m still here, just a little preoccupied with the house, otherwise all is good in our world. Â As the weather is getting cooler by the week, I’m finding my recipes are changing along with the season. Â Hearty meals are starting to appear on our family menu. Â My slow cooker is earning it’s keep, not only due to the change in menu, but also my avoidance of using the oven. Â The oven is spotless and I don’t fancy having to clean it every week before our house open. Â Wondering how many weeks I last before I cave and use it!
I came up with this recipe this morning before dashing off to do the school drop off. Â I haven’t cooked pork belly in the slow cooker before, so it was an experiment. Â I’m happy to say it was a success, with both the girls liking it! Â The meat cooks up oh so tender. Â The marinade turns into a delicious caramel-like sauce, perfect for drizzling over the dish once served up.
- 1kg pork belly
- 50ml soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small knob garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp chinese 5 spice
- Place all ingredients in a jug, except pork, and mix together.
- Place pork belly in slow cooker, skin side up. It is optional to lightly sear the pork belly in a frypan before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Pour marinade over the pork.
- Cook on high for approximately 4 hours, then turn back to low for at least 6-8 hours. Baste the meat with the marinade and juices throughout the day if possible.
- Serve with rice and your choice of steam vegetables.
Enjoy! Â Jacinta x