Hello my dear readers, I’m still here, just a little preoccupied with the house, otherwise all is good in our world. As the weather is getting cooler by the week, I’m finding my recipes are changing along with the season. Hearty meals are starting to appear on our family menu. My slow cooker is earning it’s keep, not only due to the change in menu, but also my avoidance of using the oven. The oven is spotless and I don’t fancy having to clean it every week before our house open. Wondering how many weeks I last before I cave and use it!
I came up with this recipe this morning before dashing off to do the school drop off. I haven’t cooked pork belly in the slow cooker before, so it was an experiment. I’m happy to say it was a success, with both the girls liking it! The meat cooks up oh so tender. The marinade turns into a delicious caramel-like sauce, perfect for drizzling over the dish once served up.
- 1kg pork belly
- 50ml soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small knob garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp chinese 5 spice
- Place all ingredients in a jug, except pork, and mix together.
- Place pork belly in slow cooker, skin side up. It is optional to lightly sear the pork belly in a frypan before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Pour marinade over the pork.
- Cook on high for approximately 4 hours, then turn back to low for at least 6-8 hours. Baste the meat with the marinade and juices throughout the day if possible.
- Serve with rice and your choice of steam vegetables.
Enjoy! Jacinta x