What a Week

As soon as I think I am good to craft or start a blog post, something seems to pop up.  No biggie, I just think I will get on top of things the next day, yeah right!  Jairah was unwell on and off all weekend, by Monday, he couldn’t keep anything down and hadn’t really eaten in three days nor could he keep water down.  I rang our local doctor’s and the only appointment was at 4.45pm.  He was so unwell all day,  I had to ring Greg to get the girls from school.  By the time the appointment came around, the doctor took one look at Jairah and insisted I take him straight down to the ER.

We got to the ER about 6pm, Jairah was still really sick, a lovely lady gave me the death stare while telling her kids to keep away from ‘that boy’, as I am trying to catch puke and wait to be called up to the Triage, all the time I was thinking there were probably about 20,000 other things her kids had already come into contact with in the ER!

The nurse told me we were high priority (I was so thankful for the doctor’s referral), so we only had to wait two hours on a crazy busy night.  People were queued nearly out the door!  They gave him anti-nausea meds, which thankfully seemed to help.

By the time we got into be seen, they knew he was a very unwell boy.  He was pretty non responsive and very limp.  He hadn’t talked all day and could hardly keep his eyes open.  Thankfully we had a fantastic doctor who decided that he needed to be put on a drip.  Meanwhile, Jairah thought all his Christmases had come at once as they were letting him have hydrating icy-poles.  He was very cute falling asleep while desperately trying to eat his icy-pole.

Jairah didn’t cry once while they put the drip in and they took blood too.  By about 3am they wanted to admit him, as he still needed to be monitored.  I think by the time we got to the children’s ward it was 4am.  I think I managed about 1.5 hours sleep!  Thankfully by about 7am he was starting to get a bit of colour back in his cheeks and asking for something to eat.  He managed to keep his breakfast down, so I figured that would be our ticket out of there.

The doctor checked him over and said we could go, so we were out of there before 11am.  I can’t speak highly enough of the staff we had look after our little boy.  It can be a bit hit and miss with the public system, but the sick gods must have been looking down upon us and we had the best of care.  I’m happy to say that Jairah is back to his usual mischief today and has made a full recovery.  I however am dragging my feet today.  I think the lack of sleep and stress and worry have caught up with me.  My legs are so stiff from sitting for hours.  I certainly feel like I  have run a marathon and it’s only Wednesday!

Hoping you are all keeping well!  Jacinta x

This entry was posted in Family Life and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://pumpkinsunrise.com karen

    I am so glad he is on the mend. That happened to my kids as well. Our pediatrician was great at getting them admitted and on IV fluids. I hope that is the last time you have to sleep at the hospital. They are crazy noisy!!

  • http://www.patchodirtfarm.blogspot.com Nadja

    Oh, Jacinta–how scary! I know several families who’ve had seriously ill kids recently. Was it just a terrible intestinal virus? I had one of those as a baby and was in the hospital for dehydration as well.

    So glad the little guy well again and ready to enjoy Advent! I pray you catch up on your rest as well (not easy with a little mischief-maker around!)

  • http://melbatoast68.blogspot.com Melissa

    Oh dear! I know how scary that is. My oldest had pneumonia when he was about a year old and the IV, breathing treatments, and all scared me half to death. I’m so glad he is doing better and continues to do so. Children are so resilient that I’m sure he’ll be 100 % before you have a chance to recover. Lots of cuddles are in order and be sure to take care of yourself!!!

  • katherine

    So glad he is on the mend and that your journey through the medical mindfield of public health wasn’t too bad. It is never good to have a child that sick and it is so stressful too. Been down that track with Grace many times. But after she repeatedly vomited over a six hour period I had to demand treatment for her. Grace does have other factors as well. Silly drs that don’t listen to parents do get a earful (very politely and calmly of course). Would be so much easier if the Drs weren’t so young and inexperienced.

  • http://www.catfurtomakekittenbritches.com Christy @ cat fur to make kitten britches

    Goodness, Jacinta! What an ordeal! So sorry you all had to go through that. Even with the best of care, it’s such an exhausting ordeal. Glad to see he is on the mend, however. Here’s hoping you can catch up on your own rest soon! Take care, friend ~

  • http://the-random-thoughts-in-my-head.blogspot.com Jennifer

    Oh no. Poor kid! It’s defininitely going around here too. Mama’s got it in this house. I hope everyone stays healthy.